Methodology & core values
The criteria in the system are transparent and scientifically based and harmonized with European chemicals legislation, Regulation (EG) 1907/2006 of the European Parliament and of the Council on the Registration, Evaluation, Authorization and Restriction of Chemicals (REACH) and Regulation (EG) 1272/2008 on classification, labeling and packaging of substances and mixtures (CLP) as well as the Swedish Chemicals Inspectorate's PRIO tool.
The BASTA system is based on a consistent scientific methodology, where knowledge of the industry's needs and a high level of competence in the environmental field guide the development.
The criteria cover both chemical products and articles, and limit substances with phase-out and risk reduction properties
The system's clear and public criteria are developed in collaboration with a scientific council, and changes are announced and justified.
In the system, the material suppliers retain ownership and control over their product data, which ensures updated and up-to-date information.
The criteria of the BASTA system go beyond the legislation but never against:
- The BASTA system's concentration limits are set according to the legislative limits for classification
- Where the legislation only covers chemical products, the BASTA system also covers goods
- The BASTA system has content limits or information requirements for substances
- The BASTA system has criteria that cover the registering company and ensure they have sufficient skills and procedures to maintain assessments and registrations over time
- BASTA carries out audits of connected companies where the organisation's and products' criteria fulfillment are reviewed